Friday, April 27, 2007

Way back when.....



Today was Pioneer Day at Erica's school....a day set aside for the 4th grade to step back in time.

Pioneer Day is one of the highlights of 4th grade, and for good reason. The kids (and adult volunteers) all dress up in pioneer-days clothing, they do pioneer activities (like tin punch, quilting, stenciling, etc) AND they watch demonstrations on things like flax, using a loom, making lye soap, pottery, making maple syrup AND they visit the trading post. The day ends with the entire 4th grade doing the Virginia Reel.

Erica and I had a great time. She loves reading the Little House on the Prairie books, so she was super excited to get to "live it" for a day! ...she gave me an A+ on my attire AND she even "liked" my lye soap demonstration (not that I have ever MADE lye soap, but the woman who was supposed to demonstrate couldn't be there....so I was like the understudy who actually got to play the role!!)





What a fun day! There is a part of me that has always wished to live in the pioneer days. I know pioneer women worked VERY hard, but I envy the more simple, family-centered life they led.

Anyone need the recipe for lye soap???

2 comments:

Stacy said...

OH, I *SO* wish I could have been there! MY DREAM is to be a pioneer girl! :)

CUTE outfits!
~Stacy

Anonymous said...

How cool! You and Erica look pretty cute!