Saturday, October 27, 2007

Oh, say can you see....

Our final day "out east"....we will leave to come home first thing in the morning.
What a GREAT week we have had!!

Today was no exception...
We headed out to the B&O Railroad Museum where we took a historic tain ride where the first railroad tracks were laid in America! We had the chance to climb aboard several old train cars. And (the kids' favorite) we loved the amazing model train display!


But the highlight of the day, really, was visiting Fort McHenry. Do you know about this place?? The battle that turned the War of 1812 (when the British tired to take America back!) was faught here. AND as Francis Scott Key watched the battle from a ship on the water, he penned the poem that became our Star Spangled Banner.


It was very, very cool to stand in the spot where "the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air" happened!! We even got to touch some of those bombs that were fired at our brave soldiers. And to see that huge flag waiving and imagine what it must have been like for Mr. Key to see it still flying in the morning's first light after such an intense battle... It certainly gave new meaning to the song we sing so many times each year.



I know that I am "in the moment" right now...but I really couldn't help but include these lyrics...humor me, and take a "slow read" through them, would ya'?!?!?

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Okay, at the risk of sounding REALLY shallow on such a patriotic post of yours, Michelle (which I love), I just want to say, first- that Erica is a little beauty. And her hair looks VERY cute in a headband. She's so cute!

I think it's super fun that you're there. I can't wait for our someday when we make those same stops and experience all that you're experiencing.

Also, loved your acknowledgement that you were so "in the moment". You so were! :)

Are your kids having as much fun as you are? And Chad?

Love you!
Stacy

family footprints said...

Sounds like a very fun trip! I must admit I got caught up in your moment too and if only I had one of those little American flags I would have been waving it. Thanks for history lesson. I learned a lot from your trip, thanks for sharing it with us. Glad that you all enjoyed yourselves.

Luv ya,
Ali